(from the 2006 firstmorning newsletter)
Things I believe..(you can quote me!):
- There’s nothing wrong with ignorance. It only becomes bad if you build a fort around it to defend it against new information.
1938 Book Burning in Germany
- If we didn’t know we were going to die, there would be no reasons to paint pictures or compose music.
Cave drawing-France, Mexican String Art, Painting by Toulouse LaTrec
- The worst moment in Christian history was the day, in 325, that the Emperor Constantine marched his army through a river, pronounced the men baptized, and declared the Roman Empire to heretofore be the Holy Roman Empire. On that day, Christianity ceased being a movement and became an institution.
- The Bible is not a god. It is a collection of documents inspired by human interactions with God. It is the best place to learn about God, but not the only place. Wherever there are birds and wildflowers- those are excellent places for doing that, too.
- Anything that is done to intentionally hurt a child is evil.
abandoned- Honduras; propagandized- Libya; overfed- United States
Things I wish:
- I wish Bill Watterson was still doing “Calvin and Hobbes.”
- I wish Oxfam America, Doctors Without Borders, and Kairos Prison Ministry could have the money that is flushed down the toilet every time a check is written to a televangelist.
- I wish the world wasn’t being homogenized into the image of an American suburb.
Krakow, Poland London, England Kyoto, Japan
- I wish there was a really good home for every single dog.
- I wish Europe and the United States were willing to clean up the three centuries worth of mess they made in Africa.
Refugees in Darfur, Sudan..the world is too busy elsewhere..